FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - 7/9/17 Flt 280 ICN-DFW - CX'd - Advice and How to Handle in the Future?
Old Jul 25, 2017, 9:58 am
GNVGator

Programs: US CP, MR Gold, SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by ijgordon
Makes me wonder - if one just outright purchased a replacement ticket on another carrier, after unsuccessfully getting through to AA or not getting reasonable alternatives, would AA be willing to reimburse the cost of the new ticket?

I think it's easy to say "no way, Jose", but I would point out that this is exactly what Delta did for myself (and lots of others on FT) during their April meltdown. Less the value of the original ticket purchased of course. Obviously different than a one-off mechanical, but it certainly made things easier.
I personally think that is a risky proposition because last minute paid J could easily exceed the price of your original ticket. Furthermore, they could just as easily say no we're not refunding it. I'd hate to be the test case for that unless you had a backup of someone refunding it (i.e. an employer) other than AA. I've never used it before but I assume this is where the premium credit card delay/cancellation insurance kicks in. Maybe I should use it for my $30 taxi ride?

I didn't know DL was doing that during the meltdown, though it makes sense for them to do that (i.e. refunding third party tickets) as they were probably unable to rebook pax on their own due to the IT issues. So pax had no other choice but to buy a ticket on another carrier.

Go Gators