FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Consolidated “Digital Key” Thread
View Single Post
Old Jul 24, 2017, 12:41 am
writerguyfl

Originally Posted by adambrock
My experience is that once you request the digital key and it's made available to your phone, the property sees you as checked in and in the building. I found this out when I requested a digital key and then my flight that evening got cancelled and I had trouble postponing my arrival.
There certainly is a function that allows hotels to see if the digital key was used. That function is how they know if guests are checked in but fail to arrive (aka "no-show").

It's in the best interest of both the hotel and corporate to correctly mark guests as no-shows. Hotels don't have to pay for points if guests are fail to arrive. And corporate wouldn't want people finding a dirt-cheap hotel and simply booking/checking in just to get elite-level status.

Originally Posted by LAKings
Hi, apologies if this is a stupid question. I have a stay coming up on Monday and my flight doesn't get in until 9:30pm. It is an award stay. I've heard that it's a good idea to call so that your reservation isn't cancelled.

Since this hotel has the digital key function, I'm assuming there'd be no need to add this note to my reservation? Thanks!
As someone who used to work Front Desk (including the overnight shift), I'd only worry about notifying the hotel if you arrive well after midnight. Presuming this hotel is relatively close to the airport, I wouldn't be concerned...particularly if you're planning on checking in online.