FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Tokyo Luxury Hotels (consolidated thread -- older thread, now closed)
Old Jul 23, 2017, 11:04 am
japanesegeek

HOSHINOYA Tokyo

Check In Check-in was interesting even though I knew it would be a different experience as shoes are not allowed in the hotel. I've visited Japan before several times but shoe removal has always been more prompted even though I know not to walk at tatami with them. I had taken advantage of car service through the hotel, and while they did take care of my luggage I think they overestimated my comfort level at figuring out what to do with my shoes. Anyhow not a big deal (and experiencing cultural differences is the main reason I chose this hotel), and I managed to attract their attention fairly quickly and get assistance with storing my shoes.After this, went upstairs to check-in and this was handled quickly with a couple of much needed cool towels to wipe off the sweat of a long trip. English level was very good at the front desk. Room Awesome futons (I have some very good futons at home but these were better). And a beautiful minimalist decor. I would say TV should either be hidden or available by request (it is out of the way but not completely hidden) and detracted from the minimalism, and there was an electric tea kettle that seems superfluous given the ready availablity of tea at the lounge. But these are very minor complaints, loved the room. Service Service in Japan is overly formal in my opinion, and the Hoshinoya Tokyo is no exception, but nevetheless the staff's friendliness was apparent, and service levels were extremely high with any request being done perfectly. For example, requested omurice as a special, off menu breakfast and was given an extremely well prepared specimen just oozing with flavor and stock. And the concierge staff prepared very detailed itineraries based off of what I was looking to do (plus they got me into a whole bunch of really hard to book restaurants). Itineraries showed what stations to get off at what times, and had small maps showing where to go. There were lounge areas on every floor, where you could get tea/coffee and small snacks that changed throughout the day (from a light breakfast of onigiri and miso soup to beautiful wagashi candies). The staff in the lounge were simply brilliant and incredibly patient. Dining The main restaurant in the hotel is French, and while I have no doubt it is very good, I don't come to Japan to eat French food so can't comment on it specifically. But I had room service for Japanese breakfast every day (you can also get a lighter breakfast at the lounge on every floor) and it was excellent, if too much food. The lounges offered excellent coffee and tea, made from scratch and way above most "Club Lounges" where Nespresso is somehow ok to serve. And delicious nibbles, onigiri were very good (I'd say 90% as good as the ones I got as parting gifts from top Tokyo kaseiki restaurants), and ever changing wagashi candies (I'm sure I ate more of the candies than is respectable but always felt like the lounge staff was happy for me to enjoy myself). Location Located in Otemachi, convenient for most of the great restaurants I was going to (nowhere in sprawling Tokyo is convenient to everything). Metro station in the basement of the hotel. I would say that Japanese taxis even with a printed taxi card given the hotel address are 50-50 on whether or not they'll have issues finding the entrance. They all do eventually find it of course, just extra minutes driving around or waiting for the taxi driver to call the hotel and get better directions. Overall Probably my favorite hotel in Tokyo as a hotel. It is not a resort, nor does it (for me) have sufficient F&B choices (I wish it had a great Japanese restaurant attached to it) but stayed previous at the Mandarin Oriental (which had great F&B aside from no real "lounge" to casually get tea/coffee/snacks in), I would return here in a heartbeat and just eat meals outside the hotel as I feel I experienced genuine Japanese hospitality and culture versus a great hotel that aside from the bowing could exist in any major city in the world.