FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Waikoloa Beach Marriott (Kona, Hawaii) [Master Thread]
Old Jul 22, 2017, 10:12 am
Rockyrat

I stayed here in the hotel side from 7/3 - 7/11. I do have some notes from the trip. If anyone wants non-hotel related notes just ask.

Here's my notes for the hotel:
1) Received very friendly greeting at front desk. Asked about upgraded room, was given 6292 (top floor, two double beds) which is the farthest room out except for the row of “Ocean Front” rooms. Overlooked the pool and decent ocean and volcano view. Probably one of the best rooms available without spending for big upgrade.
2) Room wasn't as big as hoped, but we didn't come here to stay in the room.
3) No microwave, small mini-fridge.
4) Wall separating bathroom from main room is glass with cloth for privacy. Terrible design as it floods main room with light when bathroom light is on.
5) Room A/C would turn on when door to Lanai was opened. Thermostat located directly below A/C gave very wrong room temp reading and Auto mode was way off. A/C pumped in cold air just fine.
6) Was given 4PM late checkout after originally offered 2PM. Gave front desk clerk candy bars as thanks.
7) TV had several missing channels. Front desk told Maintenance who called and left message saying it's a provider issue and they are waiting for them to fix it. There was a note in the room about new channels being installed on 7/3. Never saw missing channels during stay.
8) Hotel orientation on morning after arrival had continental breakfast, and was informative.
9) Hotel needs to make large pool, of the 3, adults only.
10) Hotel spreads out bread on lawns in the A.M. that attracts locals birds to include Nene's.
11) Lots of Mongoose and a few cats on site but they keep to themselves.
12) Protected salt water pools in between hotel and beach are scenic and have lots of fish.
13) Didn't go to the restaurant located just south of the hotel, but it was always packed and seemed to have a good fun crowd.
14) Two shopping centers very close by with stores, restaurants and a food court.
15) Island Gourmet Market located in Queens shopping center has everything that you could need. Open 7AM - 11PM. Also has a good (big portions and good food) deli counter that cooks up all kinds of meals. Deli counter area also has a small sushi counter that makes a variety of good quality packaged selections that are very reasonably priced considering the location. Very good fresh two-packs of muffins in deli counter area. This store can save you a lot of cash if you shop here and keep in mind limited fridge space in hotel.

Hotel amenities:
1) Fourth of July buffet in hotel was priced at $55 per person. Limited selection of foods. What was offered was good, especially Prime Rib, but crab was awful. Looked bad, overcooked. Told front desk clerk who noted it, but never got back to me. I see a $25 refund on bill which may be related, not sure.
2) Took ˝ hour Hyrdobike rental from beach in front of the hotel. Restricted area to use bikes, but ˝ hour is long enough. Overpriced at $52.06 for 2 people for 30 mins. Hour rental would've only been $10 more.
3) Didn't try to snorkel in A-Bay. Rocks a few hundred yards from shore didn't appear to have coral, but must have fish.
4) A-Bay beach is mostly sandy. Considering it's on Big Island, probably as good as could be expected.
5) Hotel gift store open until 11PM.
6) Didn't attend the onsite Luau.

Marriott Vacation Club:
1) Took what was supposed to be a 1 ˝ hour presentation that turned out to be over 2 hours.
2) They offered a discount on the price that would expire unless I bought plan then and there. Had four people talk during visit. Sales person, her boss, sales manager, and another sales person.
3) Can transfer Marriott Club points to use for Rewards at 40 to 1 ratio, not other way.
4) Did math afterwards and found that 2500 points per year costs ~$500 per month ($6k/yr) which is only good for one week stay.
5) Nice suite but way overpriced.
6) Obvious club isn't prepared for Rewards lifetime members questions.
7) Was awarded 12,500 reward points for my time.
8) Free coffee and snack along with 12,500 points makes it worthwhile even if you have no intention of buying.

Panoramic shot from the room. The volcano is hidden in the clouds.
Attached Images