FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - SPG Ambassador worth it?
View Single Post
Old Jul 21, 2017, 2:07 pm
TravelinSperry

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by pruss2ny
Last summer I had a run (2 in 6 months) of minor disputes (missed first night of 3 night non-refundable stay b/c of flight cancellations ord). Stranded, I spent both nights at SPG properties in chicago...but when I called SPG AMB to try to get an exception to the 1st night charge due to weather/cxlled flights, the SPG AMB go to move was to inform me that "sorry, but non-refundable is non-refundable....but I'll try". A few days later an email from AMB, and both times same response: "we're really sorry, but the property won't budge...non-refundable is non-refundable.".

of course, a 2 minute phone call to each property quickly saw charges removed from my account.

GS United and fly 250k+/yr (90% domestic) for over a decade. Certainly spend >150 nights/yr in hotels. I have my first ever unknown charge post this past spring at an SPG property...I stayed there, 2 nights, $700+ folio...all good. But on my AMEX i see a 2nd stand alone charge for $365. I don't have any receipt for it, I don't have any duplicate confirmations suggesting an overbooking...so I send an email to AMB service asking for some clarification for the confirm-less/receipt-less charge...their response: "it was a duplicate booking that wasn't cxlled in time, (so they) are asking property for an exception to the charge". Odd that for a duplicate booking, I have no confirm of said booking, nor recollection...but nice of them to put the onus of the charge directly on my shoulders.

I understand mistakes happen on both ends in travel, and appreciate the resolutions and treatment I've ultimately received. I even dig my AMB...but I have to say my experience has been not incredible. GS service first move is to rectify any situations...AMB first move seems to protect SPG...which is odd...i'm not a particularly confrontational client nor do I have many disputes.

I have >75nts YTD in hotels (all personal) but only 35 in SPG and my interest in hitting 100 is simply waning. AMB service certainly isn't enticing me personally.
+1. I get a similar response from my AMB. A lot of "hey, i'll try" but not much movement or success. Like you, I do much better calling properties on my own. Not going for Ambassador level this year, no point to it. I'm stopping at P75. Remaining nights split between Marriott/Hilton/IHG. Hope Marriott comes up with some better benefits at the 100 level. Give us a choice at least like they do at the 50 level. I'd take one free night vs Ambassador. I'd even take 10 SNAs. Points? Anything.