FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Transferring/Transit at Istanbul Atatürk airport
Old Jul 20, 2017, 12:02 pm
YuropFlyer

Originally Posted by bartonhill
Thanks for the info. I had the exact same plan of going J to Istanbul and changing to domestic same day to Izmir. But after reading State Department post, I am having second thoughts. Is it safe for US citizens to travel in that area?
Considering even Germany - who basically took all the crap from Erdogan in the last years and swallowed it - has (finally!) set some firm warning to make trips to Turkey (Still not hard enough imho, but at least they increased the warning) AND, that's probably much more meaningful, told German companies NOT to invest into Turkey anymore (they'll lose any protection that Germany used to give for this kind of deals) it's quite serious.

Yes, right now going to Izmir is still fine, but who knows where Erdogan will "lead" Turkey next to? Unless it's an absolutely necessary business trip, I'd probably try to avoid Turkey altogether. Bad behaviour shouldn't be supported by tourist money.