FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - KLM 789 J
Thread: KLM 789 J
View Single Post
Old Jul 20, 2017, 12:03 am
wco81
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Flew KL607, AMS-SFO, in WBC today.

Got rebooked today, BIO-AMS-SFO instead of the original BIO-CDG-SEA-SFO.

Because of the much better routing, I was happy to be on the flight and I assumed what was a much newer plane.

Had a bit of a hassle the day before confirming/choosing seats. I logged into Delta.com which ticketed me and for checking in, they redirected to KLM.com but neither my ticket number nor my DL record locator was recognized. But there was a chat available and they gave me the KL record locator. Even then I had to go through several attempts to select seats for KL607. I managed to do it but the My Flights never updated to the new seat.

But when I checked in at BIO, it looked like the seat I wanted was saved.

Beautiful big windows and very clean pods. They passed out the amenity kits after everyone had boarded.

So several things were wrong:

1. The seat would not go all the way back up. After takeoff, I reclined it a little and then when they started serving lunch, I tried to bring it back up and none of the buttons were responsive.

Two attendants later came over and referencing instructions on an iPad, they reclined it all the way down and then removed cushions and snapped something into place. They said something was locked up.

So it reclined in both ways after that.

2. Power outlet didn't work at all. They tried resetting the pod, which reset my movie wishlist selections. They offered to let me charge at the bursar's station but the USB port worked so I just used that, though I had several devices.

3. The port for the noise-cancelling phones stuck out and the headset lost sound repeatedly if the plug was bumped. So I had to repeatedly unplug and replug to get sound on both sides as well as the active noise-cancellation working.

Otherwise the pod was clean, the screen bright and sharp, nice ability to tilt up and down to minimize the reflections. The controller was like a little smart phone with a multitouch screen and you could send the video to the controller instead of the main screen. So I had the flight tracking display running on the controller while watching movies.

The food was okay, not the best nor the worst. They didn't really have a vegetarian choice though, chicken, fish or a veal dish as the main.

The bed didn't seem to go all the way flat but still got a couple of hours of sleep.

All in all, not a bad experience. Despite all the glitches, I just appreciated being rebooked on a much better routing than my original return routing.

Oh and of course, the AF TATL in/out of SFO is on a 777 which may or may not have lie-flats in J so that was a big win right there.

Usually never see J awards offered to DL SM members on KL flights, especially the direct SFO-AMS ones. It's often some AF flights or DL flights while connecting through a midwest or east coast city.