FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Requirement to show Bt20,000 in cash when entering Thailand
Old Jul 18, 2017, 9:15 pm
Diplomatico

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach
Definitions aside, do note that one of the complainers cited was a British national who - AFAIK - are normally exempt requiring formal visas for Thailand. .
Do note, that same individual was cited for entering on multiple tourist visas which do not equate to visa exemptions.

FWIW, there's a report from a foreign national who is entitled to stay in Thailand on a one year permission to stay (which requires proof of financial solvency) who was also asked to show proof of funds.

As mentioned earlier in the thread, it's the latest "crackdown", otherwise known as the Thai government shooting itself in the foot, yet again.

Edit to add: I live in Chiang Mai nine months of every year. I do not, as a rule, walk around with 20,000 THB in cash in my pocket. That's just stupid. Nor would I ever let a Thai government official - of any persuasion - see that I have 20,000 THB in cash on my person.

Last edited by Diplomatico; Jul 18, 2017 at 9:20 pm