FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - IC Singapore Master Thread [merged] - after Jan 01, 2010
Old Jul 18, 2017, 1:39 pm
Flying Lawyer
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG and Hilton Diamond, LH SEN, BA Gold
Originally Posted by scubaccr
In such scenarios, no upgrade given, I'd be insisting on a cash rate rebate to the cat below Exec Suite, whether a ADR or Flex booking. In your instance one is not totally solid ground though, as hotel was upfront about saying top 3x suite types excluded.

If flex you can cancel+rebook, though no doubt rates have increased a bit. Plus extra room cat specific upgrade benefit(s) such as Limo etc are not given with the upgrade.

Issue is that whilst some hotels play fair, and use historical rates for both room types on day you booked, other hotels unfairly choose the on the day of checkin last minute flex rate for the -1cat below and if original booking was a month or more before the rate difference can be reduced to a pittance.

I had exactly that at IC Miami Downtown, +1cat (not +2cat ) upgrade, hotel said they don't upgrade further, though in my case no Suites in the t+c exclusion list.
I insisted on the full difference of usd85++/night versus the hotel senior managers attempted offer of usd25++. A large total difference as a 5night booking.

Note:- Going back to March2016 IC Singapore only had 2x Suite types (Pres/Amb) and did not have three top suite types /Royal. I also think the 3cats in t+c exclusions were only added with Sep2016 t+c rewrite no doubt IC Sin thinking about RAs +2cat upgrade benefit.
I had a discussion with them on the same issue. After complaining and telling them the transfer would be BS, I asked for a price reduction. They could not offer because they had already charged my card and I ended up the the upgrade I wanted to have.