FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Oahu/Honolulu: Consolidated Honolulu/Waikiki/Greater Honolulu Hotel/Lodging Thread
Old Jul 18, 2017, 11:46 am
quarryking

Programs: IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
I've stayed in all three, more than once. Note that my comments are as SPG Platinum, HH Gold, and IHG Platinum.

PK and HI both now have resort fees. These are not resorts, and these are just absolute ripoff charges. Unless the rates are substantially lower than others, or I need stays for a promo, they are now off my list.

Location of all three are fine, but I prefer the PK and HI location to the HH location, by a small margin.

PK - It has seen better days. Staff is nice. Rooms are ok. Views are nice from the highest floors.

HI - Rooms are nicer than the PK. Staff is nice. I shifted my PK stays to the HI when PK started with resort fees. And then when HI started the fees ...

HH - My two stays there as a HH (I stayed years ago when it wasn't a HH property) were fine. Rooms in good condition, staff is nice. Lounge (if you have access) is so so, more for the crowd of chanchos than the lounge itself.

Also consider the "new" HGI, all in the same general area. This was an old dumpy hotel that was just remodeled. I thought it was just fine. (My "upgrade" had a parking lot view.) I'd stay there again.

Note that PK and HI are on Kalakaua Ave, and HH and HGI are on Kuhio (one block back. Re: Beach access, you're talking about a two minute walk difference.
Thanks Eastbay1K for the detailed info. What's resort fees all about ? What does it entail.? Never encountered it here out in the far east..