FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - CBP warned me about having video on my laptop that I converted from my own Blu-ray/LD
Old Jul 18, 2017, 11:37 am
Often1
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by rickg523
Another example of why lawyers always say to volunteer no information in discussions with law enforcement. They're not interested in civil conversation, and you shouldn't be fooled into thinking they are.
<deleted>
<deleted>

OP was being processed by a CBP Officer at a point of entry. CBP most certainly does have copyright enforcement authority (dating back to the portions of its authority which derive from Customs) and absolutely is trained.

The Officer was almost certainly correct, but as you can see, took no action and simply warned OP.

The better takeaway is that the entire "racoon eyes" conversation was likely meant to keep OP talking. The better practice is to smile and be pleasant but volunteer nothing. Another Officer on another day and that laptop could be history.

Last edited by TWA884; Jul 18, 2017 at 1:07 pm Reason: Conform to moderator's edit of quoted post and redact response to deleted content