FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - CBP warned me about having video on my laptop that I converted from my own Blu-ray/LD
Old Jul 18, 2017, 11:20 am
WalterSFO

CBP warned me about having video on my laptop that I converted from my own Blu-ray/LD

so... another boring uneventful 14-hour flight... as usual, the only thing in my hand was my laptop(no bag) and my phone(in my pocket). I never carry anything else when I fly... no carry-on, no backpack, no checked bags, because my company pays for FedEx shipping on stuff like that, so I always ship anything I need to my destination a few days before... then thrown them back in the back and let FedEx pick them up from the hotel for shipment back home.

Anyway... the CBP guy was as friendly as can be and commented that I had raccoon eyes. I said it was because I spent most of the 14-hour nonstop watching movies on my laptop. That's when his smile did a 180 and turned into a bad cop fact. He asked me if those were movies were downloaded from the internet? I said not. All of them were converted from my own Blu-ray discs and LaserDiscs(yes, some old movies on LaserDiscs still never made it to DVD or Blu-ray as of today). He said that's still illegal, even if I own the physical discs. I didn't argue, of course. He said to consider it a warrning and the next time they may have to inspect my laptop and see if there are any movies converted without the copyright holder's permission.

Was he being serious? Do I not have the right to convert my purchased Blu-ray discs and old LaserDiscs and watch/carry them on my own laptop?