FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - The Official - GLOBAL UPGRADE CERT success thread - Yay! I got it!
Old Jul 17, 2017, 3:40 pm
bj27

Programs: Previously top-tier everything, now a happy free agent
Originally Posted by jamienbaker
Cautionary tale. For quick review, successfully applied GUC on VS...but did NOT receive mileage for the VS-operated flight without a fight. Here goes...

1) purchased T fare on Delta-marketed VS flight, and immediately applied GUC for UpperClass. Did everything with an agent in a single call.
2) when DL applied the GUC, it re-ticketed as a VS flight number.
3) for mileage earning purposes, original T fare lateraled into T on VS.
4) T on VS is not a revenue bucket. It's a straight up award bucket. I believe it is an economy award/companion ticket.
5) DL would not give me miles for the VS flight.

So, I was forced to make a handful of phone calls to sort out. I pointed out the obvious. For starters, I purchased a Delta-marketed flight. Second, nowhere (that I could find) in Delta T&Cs does it state that when applying a GUC, the Delta flight number drops and it assumes the Virgin flight number. Third, Delta T should not lateral into Virgin T since Virgin T isn't a revenue bucket in the first place.

Alas, I ultimately prevailed and collected my miles. But it was a pain. That said, agents were understanding and I felt they shared my frustration. No reasonable expectation that a passenger purchasing a mileage-earning fare from Delta would know that applying a GUC would render the earn ineligible.

Jamie
A few things:
- HUGE congratulations into being able to use a GUC on a DL-marketed/VS-operated flight. I feel like you are the first (that I've seen) to be able to do this successfully.
- Sorry you had to jump through many hoops to collect the miles you were due. It seems like DL and VS still have to sort this out (though my sources tell me VS is moving to DL reservations systems, AIR4 as it's called, so perhaps this will sort itself out)
- Thank you for sharing your experience!