FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Help! Booked an accidental 23hr layover in Guangzhou
Old Jul 16, 2017, 2:46 pm
bison1847

Programs: KLM PLAT, Qatar PLAT, AA Silver, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Starwood Gold, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by jiejie
Assuming this is all on one ticket and I assume all on China Southern, you shouldn't have to deal with luggage. CAN is like PEK (but not PVG) and generally autoroutes baggage for intl-to-intl transfer passengers so you don't have to go through full Immigration, Bag Claim/Customs, etc. You should just be able to go through "International Transfer/Transit" Immigration desk. I'd be surprised if you didn't get your onward Boarding Pass in Hanoi, but if not, there should be an airline transfer desk somewhere between deplaning and the the Immigration transit/transfer check desk, where you can get it.

As always, try to doublecheck with the airline beforehand but at least at check-in, so you can see if your bags are tagged to YVR (or not) and you know where you stand with your boarding pass. Worst case, 2:40 is enough time to accomplish a full manual transit, bag reclaim and recheck, particularly if the plane is on time into CAN. If you feel time is short and you need to get things speeded up, don't stand around in endless queues--speak up, get attention, move to the front, enlist a CZ staffer to help you get dealt with on a priority basis.

Ok Question related to this. I booked a QR turn where I arrive at 15:00 and leave the next morning at 01:00. Could I stay in the airport and not leave in order to not need to get the transit visa? As its returning to the same location I am afraid the 72 hour visa wont apply. What if I book another ticket (to HKG) get the 72 hour visa, fly back and cancel the HKG the next day?

Just trying to figure out creative options. Thanks in advance!

Last edited by bison1847; Jul 16, 2017 at 2:51 pm