FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Airbnb's sneaky 3% FX fee - deceitful and infuriating, and now unavoidable?
Old Jul 16, 2017, 1:58 am
VolandoMe

So 8 days later they finally replied, and refunded me - so I didn't need to file a chargeback against them this time. Here's what they wrote:

Hi (my name),

(agen't name) here from Airbnb, one of the Case Managers from Airbnb. I hope everything is good once you have this message.

I truly apologize for the inconvenience. But rest assured that I will be here to help you out resolve this matter.

I am more gald to refund you the $13usd that was charged on your card. Pleae note that refund usually takes 5-15 business days back to your payment method on-file.

Based on the details, when the currency you’re paying with is different from the default currency of the country where the listing or experience are located, we convert your payment automatically.

The base exchange rate uses data from one or more third parties, such as OANDA. It’s updated regularly, but may not be identical to the real-time market rate. If you’re paying in a currency different from the default currency of the country where the listing or experience are located, we also charge a 3% conversion fee on your total cost; the conversion fee accounts for Airbnb’s holding costs and foreign currency risks.

I know that this is beyond your control and I am very sorry for getting through all of this.

I hope I have assisted you well today. In case I missed out anything, will you be so kind to let me know via return email? I will be more than glad to be at your service again.

Kind regards,

(agents name)
Clearly they know they're in the wrong here, so we need to keep applying pressure to force them into compliance.