FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Reservations Purchased Through AmEx Do Not Earn Points?
Old Jul 13, 2017, 5:11 pm
nikolastojsin

Programs: UA 1K, GE/Nexus, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by stargold
FHR (as well as the Citi 4th night free booked by Carlson Wagonlit) certainly got me the SPG and Hyatt credit as expected, so it would be good to know if Hilton as a chain specifically does not recognise such bookings for points or benefits.
In my case, it did not - and therein lies the crux of the problem. Incidentally, I will be staying in another HH property over the week and will report back.

Originally Posted by jeffandnicole
Since you're not booking with them, they feel they shouldn't care much about you. Your loyalty was really with the credit card company on this booking, not the hotel!
I respectfully disagree - I am not staying with the credit card company, but with Hilton. (Actually, you are probably right about them not caring much about me - but that is a very dangerous impression to leave with a reasonably frequent customer in a hospitality industry, which is, thankfully, highly competitive.)

Originally Posted by jeffandnicole
Hilton certainly welcomes you to stay with them...but you have to book thru them if you want the advantages of being a Diamond.
In other words, I am less welcome if I do not book with them.
More seriously, I have never had problems getting benefits when booked through Amex FHR with other chains (Starwood, most recently). That is the real issue here - and the night manager in question left me with the impression that that policy is arbitrary.

For the record, I do not think it is unreasonable to expect both FHR and HH benefits during a visit (one comes from CC/payment, another from loyalty to a brand); if Starwood can do that, why cannot Hilton?

Originally Posted by shorthauldad
If I wanted to clarify Hilton's corporate policy on an issue like this, I wouldn't necessarily start by asking [the night manager.]
Which is why posted here as soon as I got to the room.
On the other hand, it is usually up to night managers of this world to enforce corporate policies...

Last edited by nikolastojsin; Jul 13, 2017 at 5:19 pm