FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - UA Flex-Schedule Program,bidding for voluntary bumps & sometimes confirmed rebookings
Old Jul 13, 2017, 2:01 pm
pinniped
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by jsloan
It's unlikely to make me very happy, as I normally find myself at/near the top of the volunteer list, in part because many people don't have the same flexibility day-of-travel that they might have with 4 days' notice.
I guess the devil will be in the details and execution.

On a gate VDB, you obviously have to fly *later*, and often a lot later...thus leading to higher VDB amounts that you presumably enjoy today.

With this, it appears they're rolling it out with low dollar amounts to start, which tells me they're hoping to get some minor movement here and there...people flying 1-2 hours earlier, for example. You might get fewer $1000 bumps, but a lot more $200 bumps. And you could plan for them, including flying earlier (instead of always later), meaning you could be better off in the long run. And you'd lose less valuable time actually waiting in airports for later flights.

Plus, the low cap in the tool means they're still going to have to resolve *some* VDBs with bigger vouchers at the airport. Especially if it's a route that doesn't have flights every 1-2 hours.