FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - How far in advance one should make reservations for Kruger and flights?
Old Jul 13, 2017, 3:55 am
RichardAtCT

Originally Posted by invisible
Seems our next trip to South Africa (Kruger, Garden Route or alternatives) and Victoria Falls has slipped from May/June next year to November next year.

So I have two questions:

- How far in advance one should start look for/making accommodation reservations at Kruger?
- Except Garden Route which I have not seen yet and Panorama Route (which I've seen) what are other recommended nice and safe road trips in South Africa?
For the public rest camps in Kruger (very nice, if a bit basic), I'd book as soon as your other details are confirmed. They often fill up very quickly, especially as you get closer to the school holidays (end of November).

Leaving from Cape Town, you can do either the Garden Route via the N2, or head in the direction of Namibia on the N7. Lots to see.do on the way if you don't want to go the whole way there.

Leaving from Joburg, the drive to Swaziland is very beautiful, you can also split off and head to Kruger or Mozambique depending on how you are feeling.

Safety wise, as long as you are only stopping in designated areas (petrol stations, small towns etc.), you should have no major concerns RE crime.