FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - AA Partner Airline Upgrade Award - BA, IB, including codeshares (master thd)
Old Jul 12, 2017, 3:21 pm
SpammersAreScum

Programs: BA Silver; Hilton Gold; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by smartini
Hi. I apologize if this topic has been discussed to death previously. I am still rather confused about how different airlines manage code share flights.

I recently reserved (through a cruise line) a pair of round trip tickets from IND to LHR (with stops in ORD going and CLT coming back). They are economy class (fare class S) from American. All four segments are operated by American, and the ticket appears to be issued by American. However, the two transatlatic segments are Iberia flights operated by American. I'm not sure why American would wan to sell their flights in this convoluted fashion.

Anyways, my question is in regard to my ability (or lack there of) to upgrade the transatlantic segments with miles. Do I:

A. Contact American Airlines and upgrade the segments with AAdvantage miles?
or
B. Contact Iberia and upgrade the segments with Avios?

Or something more convoluted?

Thanks.

Naoyuki
As noted in the wiki, you can use AA miles to upgrade IB-marketed / AA-operated, but only from full-fare, which S of course is not.

The Iberia "using Avios" webpage says "You can also use [Avios] to upgrade cabin class when you fly in economy (fares Y, B or H) with Iberia." So, same problem there apparently.

If you're talking about using BA Avios, they only limit you to anything but "Q, O and G". So that might work.

You could call and ask to have the flights changed to the higher fare class and pay the cost difference, but you may well find that it would be cheaper to simply upfare to discount Business instead.