FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Luxury -- is it space, style, decor?
View Single Post
Old Jul 12, 2017, 11:18 am
bhrubin
Suspended

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by chinmoylad
You'll get along very well with bhrubin

Luxury to me does, indeed, require absolutely good working air con. And the ability of the hotel to make sure it stays that way.

Beyond that, style and decor can vary widely. It can match my style and be modern, clean, and unfussy, or it can be very different but still very well done (La Residence in South Africa, Umaid Bhawan in India, Gritti Palace in Venice, the Strand in Burma).

Space can be minimally sizable or obviously more spacious...but we actually are not fond of a 4 bedroom villa for just the two of us. It's as much about how usable the space is as how much space is available.

Location is important...but not as critical for us as it can be for others. Obviously, the location must be convenient to whatever you want to do in that locale. But being in the central tourist district isn't urgent for us. Being closer to top restaurants can be more important.

View can be important. But it isn't critical to me. I laugh when people get caught up with river views in cities that don't have coastal views--sorry, I could give a hoot about the damn river in Bangkok or London or Florence or Melbourne or Paris. As it happens, because we live on the SoCal coast with one of the best harbor/coastal views in the world, I don't always care about an ocean view, either. But when a view is particularly unique and dramatic (usually because of a truly amazing scene of natural beauty or for one of the world's more unusual and remote manmade wonders, such as at the StR Princeville on Kauai, Amanjiwo looking onto Borobudur, Aureum Palace Bagan, hotels looking onto Bora Bora, etc), I will crave it, however.

A proper king bed, or a bed that still feels like a proper king bed, is also a proper part of luxury for us--since we are 6'2" and 6'5"!

A private plunge pool or private pool is another element that makes for luxury for me. It isn't always critical...but in hot climes I definitely will heavily consider it.

Last edited by bhrubin; Jul 12, 2017 at 11:50 am