FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Luxury -- is it space, style, decor?
View Single Post
Old Jul 11, 2017, 10:02 pm
Susiew237

Programs: IHG Ambassador, Air NZ lowly Jade now, Emirates
I suspect I dont stay at the level of luxury that a lot of people on this particular forum do, but I do like 5 star and aspire to some of the more luxury properties as I get older.

I like the entrance/lobby of a hotel to have grandeur or even be simply grand, lots of space here sets the tone. And flowers... most definitely flowers!

I definitely love hotels that have a club style lounge - again, space is quite important here and how it is furnished and what it offers. A view or an outlook is top of my list, if not the hotel room, definitely the lounge!. A hotel that has a luxury spa is another top of list item for me.

I want elegance, comfort, cleanliness (I am a stickler on this), service that is not fawning but interested (although I know that is not part of the subject).. I want modernity but without losing character if that is the style of the hotel. I want soundproof rooms and blackout curtains. I want elegant table and glassware where I am eating or drinking. I would like a room that has been designed with both men and women in mind... decent lighting so I can do my hair and makeup... good lord, how often is this not the case. Space to put at least 2 suitcases, really do they think only 1 person is staying. sorry now I'm nitpicking...

The last few years of travel for me have really helped me define what I want in my home and life, hence I am now building a new home with a sea view. A luxury hotel should be aspirational in many ways.