FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - More regional planes operating on mainline routes
Old Jul 11, 2017, 5:10 pm
cbn42
Moderator: Manufactured Spending

Originally Posted by BiggAW
That doesn't work when you have to compete with airlines that are driving CASM down, like WN. The vast majority of those regional airports have WN-served airports within a few hours, and many even have airports served by NK or F9.
Most people don't want to drive "a few hours" to fly on WN when they have an airport in their city. Perhaps you will, due to your hatred of regional jets, but you are in the minority. Flights to regional airports exist mainly because people are williing to pay a premium for them in order to avoid driving.

WN serves the vast majority of the population of the Lower 48, and serves the vast majority of the market for domestic lower 48 flying. Yes, the legacies have the alliance partnerships for overseas travel, but the volume on that is relatively small compared to domestic. Everywhere else, they have to actually compete with WN for traffic. The number of people going to the Dakotas and Montana is not something that makes a national air market on its own.
Southwest generally does not serve small airports. People in small towns can either fly a legacy airline from their own airports, or drive a couple of hours to fly Southwest. Some may do the latter to save money, and some won't.

Actually, I've talked to a lot of other people who don't have the absolutely-no-regionals policy that I do, but absolutely despise them. They are just a bad experience to fly on.
Clearly the market disagrees with you, because these regional routes are doing just fine. They often command premium fares. If it weren't for the pilot shortage, there would be a lot more of them in the sky.

I can't figure out who is dumb enough to book a flight out of HVN or ABE, but the airlines need to step up and streamline their operations, and cut out nonsense flights.
Then perhaps we should go back to the days of regulation, and you can convince the government to put a stop to these flights.

Not at all. It doesn't seem that anyone has actually *TRIED* them, other than AS.
Airlines are constantly looking for new route opportunities, and they have a trove of data to analyze. If no other airline has expressed interest in trying milk runs for so many years, there is probably a reason for it.

You simply can't seem to accept that people have different preferences than you do, and that the market will respond to the preferences of all customers, not just yours. I doubt that all the legacy airlines are misunderstanding the domestic aviation market and missing out on opportunities to make more money by doing what you think they should do.