FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Benefits of a Citigold account? [consolidated]
Old Jul 11, 2017, 9:57 am
TravelinSperry

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by garykung
Obviously it is not about the benefit you have read, but the intangible benefit, i.e. Global assistance. For example:

1. As soon as you meet the minimum balance at your home country, you can have a Citigold account everywhere (subject to local law and regulations) without meeting balance requirement. This is an excellent benefit for any expats.

2. Citi can extend credit based on your home country's history and income. For example, if you are a Citigold client from the U.K., upon opening your host Citigold account in the U.S., you can request Citigold US to open a credit card for you even without SSN. You can even get a mortgage if needed.

3. Citi in the host country can act as Citi in the home country. For example, if you have a form that need to be sign at the branch in the home country, you can get that sign at Citi in the host country, if the form allows it.

Unlike CPC or BofA, Citigold (as well as HSBC Premier) is not your typical top-tiered account. What Citi is selling is a global solution, as well as its global network. There is nothing that Chase or BofA can compare with Citi on this.
This is why I use HSBC Premier. I used to be Citigold for similar reasons... but since Citi upped to $250k and HSBC Premier remains at $100k, it is quite easy to stay with HSBC rather than Citigold

All this said, re #1 above, CitiGold didn't allow me to open global accounts. I tried and was denied due to lack of local home address in a variety of countries. Perhaps they changed this but I doubt it.