FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Reservations Purchased Through AmEx Do Not Earn Points?
Old Jul 11, 2017, 9:56 am
nikolastojsin

Programs: UA 1K, GE/Nexus, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by loyaltypointschaser
I have not had any problem of getting and HH points or stay credit when booking Hilton stay through AMEX FHR.

From my understanding is that Amex travel often buy hotel rooms as wholesale rate in advance and sell in on their site. You usually pay Amex directly, in this case it will count as 3rd parties booking, and ineligible for points and stay credit.

On the other hand, booking through Amex FHR, the rate is usually the best flexible rate. You will pay the hotel directly at check out, hence you will get the points and stay credit.
Thank you, that is greatly appreciated, and answers my question - my reservation was through Amex FHR; it never made much sense that reservation paid at the hotel would not earn points, but that is what they insisted HH policy was. (To quote them directly, "It is the reservation that counts; if you reserve at a third-party site, the rate is ineligible.")

Ah well, thankfully, competition in US lodging is quite plentiful. (As opposed to airlines, for example. ) I still find it silly that HH would risk losing a 60-80 nights/year client over things like these, but...