FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - American Express Canada application and reward strategies (2017)
Old Jul 11, 2017, 9:04 am
JJonahJ

Programs: *void
Originally Posted by global_happy_traveller
No instant approval (standard message we are reviewing your application). Never heard back.... following FT rule 101 try not to call in cause she had her card cancelled back in Apr

her Biz card last year went through similar disaster where Amex couldn't budget to comp her the miles.... I wonder if they blacklisted her
The Don't Call Amex rule is more specifically for enquiring about missing points on repeated churns, but in general you just don't want to have to call Amex if possible in other situations such as self-referrals, opening a second Business card product for welcome points. But in the case of approvals, I would relax that rule, especially if I haven't seen an email within a week after applying. Most front line Amex reps will simply want you to provide ID info and then push the application along, but of course there could also be a manual review by a credit analyst who at that time 'might' notice if it's a repeated churn of a Personal card product and offer to abort the application citing the one-welcome rules. For Business products there aren't published ineligibility wording, but they might still cite it anyways, be it correct or not. I think after 2 weeks of silence I would have just called anyways, and taken the chance. She might as well call now, as it's unlikely still "in progress" after so many weeks after applying.