FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Liability for items damaged by Cabin Crew
Old Jul 11, 2017, 8:51 am
albpenny

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by irishguy28
If you're only going to get "very close to the purchase price", it doesn't sound like much of an investment. Why not just put the money away in a drawer? After a couple of years, you can take it out again, and depending on inflation, you get very close to the "original" value.

(And why would anyone buy a second-hand bag or pair of shoes if it is about the same price to buy them new???)
Not going to derail this thread, but the point is that items such as this do gain value. It depends on what you're hoping to get from your investment - with fashion items, you get wear, use and then (pretty much all or more of) your money back.

The items on eBay that I mentioned - the retail price for the same pair of shoes I bought 9 years ago has gone up by 64% between then and now (from £300 to £470), while on eBay they're on sale for £350. It'll be the same as the Birkin etc. If I sold my shoes now, i'd have had 9 years of wear and then make £50 profit, which is a 17% return. The greater the value of fashion products (and their scarcity), the greater the return.

Anyway as LTN Phobia pointed out, this isn't a thread to discuss the merits of investments or the value of bags, back on topic - is the liability £1200 per item or total?