FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - AS and AA Partnership Changes (Effective 1 January 2018)
Old Jul 10, 2017, 8:13 pm
channa
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by WebTraveler
I disagree with your analogy. The relationship with Alaska brings AA a lot of business. If I didn't get Alaska miles I may not (probably not ) fly AA. That was the beauty. AA got me as a customer that they may not have ordinarily had. Bringing a huge stack of business was something Alaska provided to AA.
True, though AA holds the card that it's not AS's destination. So, even after terminating the agreement, they have a ~33% chance that you're going to fly them anyway. In LAX there's a chance that you'll fly them anyway and then some.

The problem can be solved easily by maintaining Alaska codeshares on pretty much all ORD/DFW/PHL connecting flights and charging a reasonable (competitive) fare for the 2nd leg codeshare.
Except they can't. They accepted as terms with DOJ that they would not codeshare to AA's hubs.

Furthermore, as I am pushed out of the Alaska partner network, why stay locally with Alaska? Alaska was loyal to me, I was loyal to Alaska. But since Mileage Plan is worth less to me next time I might choose United on PDX-SFO because I am stucky flying United on PDX-Providence or something and I am building miles and status with United. So overall this weakens my drive to pledge loyalty to Alaska
Yes. I'm sure United (SFO) and Delta (SEA) were very happy with this development. While I think AA stands to win some, UA and DL stand to win more.