FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - I Thought Delta was better than this
View Single Post
Old Jul 10, 2017, 1:43 pm
spin88

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT
Originally Posted by AnnKangas
I thought Delta was better than this, but today may have changed mind.

My husband and I have been Delta Skymiles members for many years and travel a fair amount, we actually will be traveling more this year again. We have always been loyal to Delta.

Today we were screwed twice by Delta. After being on hold for over 2 hours combined, my husband was charged for his name being incorrect on the ticket, as he has a new contract and their admin department made a mistake. This was a $50 fee he had to pay so he will be allowed through security...

Secondly, we saved miles for a family vacation and purchased 5 First Class tickets in May. They cost us 92,500 miles per ticket for a grand total of 462,500 miles plus $56 cash. Today I looked at the same dates and the same first class tickets were only 65,000 miles a piece for a total of 325,000 miles. The difference of 137,500 miles is tremendous!! They wanted to charge me $150 per ticket in order to either change or cancel the tickets. (I used to be able to cancel the tickets for free with points) SO THEY WANTED A TOTAL OF $750 TO CHANGE OR CANCEL MY RESERVATION THAT I PAID $56 for???????????? to recoup the 137,500 miles that would be enough for tickets for my husband and I to go somewhere else. THIS IS RIDICULOUS!!! Way to treat loyal customers...All I want is the difference in miles back.
I will perhaps be more sympathetic in saying "I feel your pain". The unpleasant side effect of the variable pricing scheme Delta is using on award tickets is what you have seen, the price falls. I guess there was a version of this before (no saver awards, then some opened up) just not as bad. Delta, and other other airlines (UA does this) put a redeposit fee on to prevent people holding seats, then changing them for cheaper seats if they became available. And it was a common technique to try to get a better deal that many here used in the past.

While I understand your frustration, a redeposit fee is (other than I think with WN, which then has no FC) standard at this point.

And welcome to FT!