FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Mistaken Date on Passport Stamp
View Single Post
Old Jul 8, 2017, 5:02 pm
LASNRT

Programs: United Platinum, IHG Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond
Mistaken Date on Passport Stamp

I believe the situation may have already resolved itself, but I'd just like a second opinion. US passport holder (issued in 2013), no European residency.

On June 4, I had a 8 hour layover in Switzerland coming from Turkey on my way to Russia and left the airport and went into Zurich, thus clearing passport control. The immigration agent mistakenly stamped the next day, June 5, as the entry date into my passport. Later when I left Zurich and cleared exit immigration, the agent looked around my passport for a while (a little longer than normal), said nothing, and stamped the correct exit date of June 4. (The Turkish exit date is stamped correctly as June 4, and the Russian entry date is stamped correctly as June 5 - although very blurry (on the next page) - as the plane landed at 2 am...)

I left Russia by train and entered Finland on June 13, and got a Finnish entry stamp. I left Schengen through Poland on June 16 and the Polish exit stamp was stamped next to my Swiss entry stamp dated June 5.

Of course, I didn't notice the discrepancy until I had already returned home.

My next port of entry into Europe will be...Zurich!

To me, it looks like I left Switzerland on June 4, with no corresponding entry into the Schengen area. Common sense would explain that it was a mistake - I entered Turkey on May 31, left on June 4, and flew into Switzerland on June 4, but I don't want to depend on my idea of common sense when I am at the mercy of another nation's frontier guards...

Should I contact Swiss immigration authorities to alert them to the anomaly in my passport, or just let it go? I wasn't questioned about it leaving Warsaw. By the way, my line was about 30 deep when I got there, and I assume everybody else in my line got the wrong date stamped too (my travel companion did!)

Thanks for your advice and opinions!

For clarification, my itinerary was:

May 31: USA -> Turkey
June 4: Turkey -> Switzerland -> Russia (landing 2 am)
June 13: Russia -> Finland
June 16: Poland -> USA