FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - ARCHIVE: 2017 Questions about, guide to, and listing of, compensation
Old Jul 6, 2017, 11:16 pm
hbtr

Programs: AA EXP, 2MM, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by tankspectre
We got a new plane. I am arguing that this is equal to bring bumped...their actions meant I got into a different plane four hours later. I would be offered more if they overbooked and I volunteered for the same thing.
​​​​

I'm not settling for 5k because of sheer incompetence. If it was mechanical or something, yes. A broken tray table, yes. Assigning a flight crew who can't fly the plane? Incompetence.
If you get a new plane because of a mechanical issue would you still say you were "bumped?" Airlines change planes all the time for numerous reasons. I understand why one would care that they were 4 hours late. But unless your seat assignment or class of service was degraded why does it matter that the plane was "different?"

Yes, certainly gross incompetence on AA's part, no argument there. But call it "bumped" if you want, that won't change how the rest of the industry uses the term - and if you were to further complain to AA using that term you should not be surprised if they summarily dismiss your complaint.