FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Week-end in Japan ! - AMS-DOH-HND/NRT-DOH-AMS (QR J 773/772/787) + HND-CTS (JL F 772)
Old Jul 6, 2017, 3:52 pm
palmanfr

Programs: AF/KL Plat, BA Gold, A3 Gold, IHG Diamond, MR Gold, HH Diamond, ALL Platinum
Chapter 6 : Visit of the impressive Al-Mourjan lounge

We arrived at the gate 10 minutes earlier than scheduled, and the airport was almost desert at that time. I was looking forward to visit the Al-Mourjan lounge and get a shower…

Security clearance was immediate considering the low amount of people and I then proceeded upstairs to the lounge, also almost empty at this early hour.

Since this was the first time for me I visited that lounge, the fact it was completely empty was a good thing. It really showed the huge size of the premises. It is splitted into many different sections, with 2 restaurants, and business center, a family section, a quiet area with some resting cubicles, a prayer room, a smoking room and an entertainement area. You have also automatic storage lockers available for your convenience and indeed some very well maintained restrooms (there is always an attendant in the washrooms, which I find quite disturbing).

There is surprisingly no dedicated wifi, and you need to use the airport general guest wifi. All across the lounge, some artwork is present. You also have a lot of electronic tablets present near every seating section. After a quick tour of the lounge, I went to the shower reception and asked if I could take one. The attendant at the reception seemed quite bothered of this request, especially when I told him my flight was departing in 10 hours. After waiting 5 minutes, another employee showed me the shower room he just prepared and asked me if I needed any amenities such as tooth brush or razor. The shower room was very clean but extremely warm. The architect obviously forget to but a ventilation on each room so the temperature gets tropical very quickly. After this, I headed upstairs to the restaurant, which consist actually more of a bar and two buffets, one vegeterian, the other one not.

I eventually went back to this lounge later-on, after my visit of Doha-city.
The other restaurant, located downstairs had some menus, on top of a small buffet. I visited this restaurant later in the day, so what is shown on the pictures represent the lunch offerings, while the pictures of the restaurant upstairs are from breakfast.

Considering this is a flagship business class lounge, I would rate it as following :
Qatar Airways Al-Mourjan business class lounge, Hamad International airport Doha.
Buffet area / F&B selection : A
Seating available : A
« Clean and comfy » : A
Extra amenities : A-
Overall ranking : A
This is a simply impressive lounge. This was without doubt the biggest airport lounge I’ve ever been, (maybe too big even) one of the most luxurious also (the only other one as good as that one which comes in my mind are the CX F lounges in HKG and indeed the F lounges of LX and LH in FRA and ZRH.
I really liked the way they organized the different sections to make it a bit more cosy, but still… it is a very big lounge. The « First class » lounge I visited later (actually the lounge for OW Emeralds) looks quite poor in front of that one.