FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Chase Product Change/Card Conversion: Downgrade, Upgrade, Keep or Cancel? (2016-2019)
Old Jul 6, 2017, 11:05 am
eng3

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
I've had the UA MPE card for a few years. I originally got it because I booked an award flight and wanted to be upgrade eligible. Each year, the card has essentially been free. As a UA 1K, I received $60 and calling in to chase I'll be able to get a $50-$60 credit. UA has devalued their program and discontinued the $60 credit. I can probably still get a $50-$60 credit from chase. So now I'm wondering if it is worth the $35.

I barely make the mileage requirement each year to maintain UA status so I use award miles very rarely, infact, I have over a million miles in the bank so earning more miles is not that valuable. I already have 2% cash back credit cards (fidelity, priceline) so the only advantage with using the MPE card in terms of miles is when purchasing UA flights.

I'm already 1K so I don't benefit from the free bags or priority boarding benefit.

I use to benefit from the no intl transaction fee but my 2% priceline card started offering this.

The only benefit left I can think of is the award upgrades. However I figure I can always reapply for the card down the road.

Am I missing any other potential benefits to the card?

I don't like canceling cards because I don't want my credit utilization ratio to go up, so I would probably end up converting it.