FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - ARCHIVE: 2017 Questions about, guide to, and listing of, compensation
Old Jul 6, 2017, 7:37 am
wrp96
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by tankspectre
Date: 4th of July
•AAdvantage Status: Regular member, nothing special
•Fare class: I used Chase Sapphire Reserve points for $300 tickets (each) roundtrip SAN-MSY flights for my wife and I for a funeral. Layover each way in DFW.
•What happened: On our return flight we make our stop in DFW. Departure time for DFW-SAN is 455pm. Hang at the Centurion lounge and then go to our gate. Sign says "6 minutes till boarding." I go to the restroom. When I return our flight is now 20 minutes delayed...ok...no big deal. A few minutes later the GA announces "We have a plane and a flight crew...but the flight crew is not certified for this model of plane."

Basically they blamed the US Airways/American merger for the snafu. Because they have different submodels of planes, the crew wasn't certified on the submodel. They ask for active military to be put on standby for a flight leaving at 6xxpm. There are A LOT as San Diego is a military city and they are all on holiday leave for the 4th...so there is no way anyone without a severe hardship is getting standby for that flight. I ask the manager about compensation and he prints out instructions for contacting AA online because "Since it's a whole plane affected they can offer you far more than I could here."

We eventually get a new plane and leave DFW at 855pm...4 hour delay. I had to have our pet/housesitter stay for extra time on a holiday. We missed all of our holiday plans. We then got stuck in traffic trying to go home in an Uber at SAN...it took 62 minutes to go 9 miles.

As far as I'm concerned we were essentially involuntarily deboarded. They caused their own problem. This isn't mechanical or weather. This is strictly on the airline.

•Compensation: I contacted AA on twitter and via the website. They respond by gifting us 5k miles each. Absolutely unacceptable. I've now told them so...I figure I'll give them a chance to actually talk to me and give me something worthwhile or I'll file with DOT.

•Comments: I'm not trying to get compensated for the housesitter and Uber issues but the delay did cause us to lose holiday time and money overall. I want to be fairly compensated for what I see as essentially being bumped due to incompetence.
While it's unfortunate and frustrating that you missed your holiday plans (and sorry about the reason for the trip too), you weren't bumped as your flight still operated with you on it. And the DOT isn't going to care about a 4 hour departure delay. 5,000 miles is about what I would expect for a 4 hour delay for someone with no status. I think you will just make yourself more frustrated if you push for anything else.