FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - American Express Canada application and reward strategies (2017)
Old Jul 5, 2017, 12:02 pm
JJonahJ

Programs: *void
Originally Posted by ababs
Looking for some newbie advice from the pros...

Wife and I both had the Gold cards last year, got the bonuses, and cancelled. Is it churnable if we sign up again? Will we get the points? Also, just generally would love to hear any input on strategy, only really interested in the Free cards. Do I need to have a business for the business gold card, or can I get that card without owning a business or sole proprietorship?

Thanks for any advice you offer, love reading the forums!!

Cheers,
Al
Welcome to FT, Canadian content!

The Canadian Amex churning scene is dynamic. It hasn't been shut down as vigorously as in the USA, yet there are some signs that they may want to enforce their one-welcome policy notes (first published in the footnotes of personal card products on July 1st, 2015). So, your success at churning can't be foreseen, but odds are still GOOD, at least IMHO.

You don't need a legitimate business registration number to apply for their business card products. For years we have been applying as sole proprietors, using our NAMES as our business names. Amex are fine with this.

You mentioned you're only interested in the Free (FYF) cards, but have a look at the post(s) I've put up in the past (links in my signature) about why the Business Platinum card is still a smart choice.

JJJ

Last edited by JJonahJ; Jul 5, 2017 at 3:23 pm