FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Prepaid SIM discussion (consolidated)
View Single Post
Old Jul 5, 2017, 11:59 am
freecia

There's some real value offered beyond "100 MB of data" or a cheap (for JP tourists) basic sim.

I'd get it for domestic SMS validation as it can be problematic to get a prepaid SMS + data sim (non-recurring) as a tourist. It'd be nice to activate that taxi app which requires JP sms validation. 500 MB for 700 yen isn't that bad, either, for Japan prepaid tourist oriented sims. It is also directly from NTT Docomo which should allow very decent LTE speeds, unlike MVNOs.

I typically supplement data with premium wifi code sponsored by Donki. The wifi codes have popped up in business hotels among the promo materials.

Q: Is transmission impossible if my LTE/3G data capacity runs out?
A: You can use an unlimited 128kbps connection for the first 15 days of using the SIM card.

Q: Can I make voice calls or use SMS text messages?
A: Voice is not available. SMS can only be received, not sent.

Q: How fast the data transmission will be?
A: High-speed data transmission
- 682Mpbs maximum (Download)
-50Mbps maximum (Upload)
Slow data transmission: 128Kbps maximum for both download and upload

Q: Can I charge additional data by buying credits?
A: Provided your card is still valid for use, you can purchase high-speed data.

Q: What sizes of data are available?
A: You can purchase in increments of 100MB and 500MB. 100MB: 200 JPY (Excluding tax); 500MB: 700 JPY (Excluding tax).

Q: Is tethering possible?
A: It depends on the devices you use. Please refer to the guide book of your device.

Q: What are the credits I can get for viewing advertisements?
A: By watching advertisements on the page or responding to surveys, you can get credits for high-speed data usage.

Q: If I purchase high-speed data, can I extend the usage period for the service?
A: The SIM card usage period is 15 days from the day of first use. We do not offer extensions.

Q: If I want to apply again within 15 days of starting use of the SIM card, what should I do?
A: We do not accept simultaneous applications; you will have to first cancel your current subscription before applying.