FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Another Lloyds/Avios Upgrade Voucher, issue/question .
Old Jul 1, 2017, 3:43 pm
mike turnbull

Programs: Lifetime Platinum
Another Lloyds/Avios Upgrade Voucher, issue/question .

My wife and I were thinking that it would make sense to use the above voucher on a return trip home to the UK from the US West Coast, Seattle, (particularly as it would be the typical 'red eye' flight).
Selecting off peak flights, (and ignoring the outbound flights,) BA Business Class is 62500 Avios. Using the voucher, we would be charged 32500 Avios as per Premium Economy,each, and would receive back the 30000 difference. However, BA charges are £118 in PE and £390 for Business. Avios tell me that we have to pay the Business rate. Whilst it could be argued that £390 is a reasonable price to get back home in Business, it's a bit galling to then find out that I may as well use my KLM miles and come back with Delta....Business Class with charges of under 20 Euros each. A significant difference.
Which gets me thinking...just what is the 'best' use of this voucher ? I guess we could go out to Hong Kong and return with this voucher and with no taxes involved.
Or have I missed a trick somewhere?
Just interested to know where you guys have used this voucher to the best effect.