FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - (Rant) My UA miles expired, I have no use for United
Old Jul 1, 2017, 11:52 am
Ramonmv

Programs: Bonvoy P, HHonors Dia, Hyatt Disc, FPC, Alaskan, Hawaiian, AA, United, Elevate, Amex
Originally Posted by MBS MillionMiler
Unless you want to go to Asia. Or Europe. Or Australia. Or smaller/mid market cities in the Midwest, South, Northeast, Mid Atlantic. Or go anywhere besides directly west from anywhere east of the Mississippi.
I don't. And if I did, there are PLENTY of better airlines than United, that go to those destinations.

Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
Take an iota of responsibility, OP. And if you need an extra 6 months (beyond UA's 18) to cover inactivity at Alaska, don't look for a red carpet from them either. They are a good airline, though. Good luck and watch your expiration dates!

United's rules read basically the same, where Alaska's "may" is equivalent to United's "subject to". Neither is absolute. You can't go to Alaska after you've let you miles expire there and tell 'em you didn't think they really would cancel miles. I guess you could, but they'll just ask for a reinstatement fee, especially if you haven't generated any revenue for them in a while.

United's:

"Any Member who fails at any time to engage in Account Activity (as defined in Rule 11 above) for a period of eighteen (18) consecutive months is subject to termination of such Member’s membership and/or forfeiture of all accrued mileage. United may, but shall have no obligation to, send a Member a notification of miles nearing expiration."
Yep. United does NOT send a notice of upcoming expiration. Thanks for proving my point.

Originally Posted by notquiteaff
I manage several accounts of infrequent UA flyers. I have been notified every time the account approached expiration deadlines. I also proactively monitor them. If you don't want this responsibility, that is your choice.

I have the AS Visa card. It is fairly useless except for the companion ticket. I earn virtually no miles with it because it's not worth carrying the card in my wallet.

See you in the AS forum. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alask...eage-plan-442/
I was NOT notified. Can anyone read??? The Alaska card is FAR superior to the UA card. And the airline is far superior, too.

Originally Posted by arollins
I find it surprising when I see a member posting about points/miles expiration. More so on one that has been an FT member for some time, and has multiple accounts. Somehow it will seem to me that juggling all those account might give a clue to the user that they all are pretty much the same, they try to sell you loyalty, you can earn points/miles, use them, but they also expire as well. There are not many exceptions, DL, Bestwestern are the few that I can think off at top of my head with no expiration. Regardless of UA sending notification of expiration, it is up to the account holder to make use of them.

36k is one way to Europe, or domestic roundtrip. Heck you can make hotel, car reservations. There are multiples uses, and yet, they are lost. There are many ways to keep account active, credit card spend, car/hotel rental credit to the program, purchase something through their shopping portal, magazine subscriptions, etc.

Awardwallet is a good source to keep track of your programs, granted some like UA and DL are not trackacble, but at least you can check for those manually, I do this all the time for myself and immediate family members.To the OP, keep track of your current programs.
I checked, and 36k wouldn't even get me one way to Maui.
Once again, UA does not cooperate with AwardWallet.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jul 1, 2017 at 3:04 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member -- please use multi-quote