FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - 'Which?' target BA for EC261 petition - please sign
Old Jul 1, 2017, 11:17 am
TabTraveller

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by HilFly
The regulation is breached thousands of time a day. Airlines are supposed to inform passengers of their rights at check-in. A notice stuck to the check in desk with a basket of luggage tags on top of it does not pass muster. This springs to mind.

It was on display in the bottom of a locked filing cabinet, stuck in a disused lavatory with a sign on the door saying “Beware of the Leopard”.

Then there are the lies told to passengers when cancellations / downgrades / delays occur. Last year I was standing at the rebooking counter at LHR for a considerable amount of time, listening to the staff lie to passengers again and again.

And that's before we even get to what happens when claims are submitted.

I am in favor of anything that gives this law more teeth. Those who claim under EC261/2004 themselves but don't support actions to expand payments to all who are eligible because they think it would increase fares, are being more than a teensy bit hypocritical.
I'm 100% in favour of making the process as easy as possible and discouraging airlines from not paying out legitimate claims.

There are broader public policy concerns however with the proposal to make compensation automatic.