FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - 'Which?' target BA for EC261 petition - please sign
Old Jul 1, 2017, 10:49 am
Flexible preferences

Originally Posted by HilFly
The regulation is breached thousands of time a day. Airlines are supposed to inform passengers of their rights at check-in. A notice stuck to the check in desk with a basket of luggage tags on top of it does not pass muster. This springs to mind.

It was on display in the bottom of a locked filing cabinet, stuck in a disused lavatory with a sign on the door saying “Beware of the Leopard”.

Then there are the lies told to passengers when cancellations / downgrades / delays occur. Last year I was standing at the rebooking counter at LHR for a considerable amount of time, listening to the staff lie to passengers again and again.

And that's before we even get to what happens when claims are submitted.

I am in favor of anything that gives this law more teeth. Those who claim under EC261/2004 themselves but don't support actions to expand payments to all who are eligible because they think it would increase fares, are being more than a teensy bit hypocritical.
simons1 will hopefully correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think the anecdotal evidence you mention is what he was referring to when he said about breaching the regulations. I read it that he meant 'breach' as a circumstance that would trigger liability for compensation. As I see it this law has plenty of teeth - 600 euros for an arrival over 4 hours late - that's 2400 euros for a family of four. Wow.