FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Westin Bayshore Vancouver [Master Thread]
Old Jun 29, 2017, 12:20 am
smokie

Programs: Marriott LTP
I just had a night at the Westin Bayshore last week. It is a nice property in a great location, but as has been documented, their treatment of Platinums can be lacking, and there were some other issues.

On this visit, my SNA cleared 5 days out. I requested an early check-in, and it was denied, which was disappointing as there was availability for all categories of suite showing up as available right through until midnight the night before check-in as well as the night after check-in.

When we were finally able to check in at 4pm, I sought to confirm a 4pm checkout for the following day. This was denied, and I was told to check back in the morning. In the morning, I phoned again to confirm a 4pm late checkout, and was still denied. 2pm was the best they could do, as there was an incoming guest. This was inconvenient, so I reached out to the Platinum Concierge, and they spoke with the property. The property didn't budge, and the Platinum Concierge said he was shocked by this and suggested I open a complaint file with corporate, which I did (for the first time ever BTW). I was told I should hear back within 48 hours. A week later, and still nothing.

Another issue - we had a group lunch at the main restaurant (H2). When we arrived at the restaurant, I asked if there was an SPG member discount on food and was told that food was discounted 20%. When I was presented with the bill at the end of the meal, I enquired about the discount, and was told that there wasn't one...! And then to cap it off, I noticed after paying that we had been overcharged by as much as $10 for at least 5 items on the bill (eg. steak was listed on menu at $28, but we were charged $38). And SPG points for the food still haven't posted.

Other comments - the bell team must be significantly understaffed at this property. When we arrived at the property at 1pm to check-in, we left our bags with the bell team. After finally checking in, the check-in agent declined my baggage claim tag and told be to go directly to the bell team. After waiting for 15 minutes, I gave up in vain, and went back to the same check-in agent, handed my claim tag, and just said "please have my bags delivered to my room". Similar challenges at checkout.

On the positive, the Platinum breakfast amenity is a full hot buffet, and it was very good. The pool is lovely, and the location with access to the sea wall, the Aquarium and Stanley Park is fantastic. Bikes are available on a first-come, first-served basis, which is another nice touch.

For anyone wondering about reaching this property via SkyTrain from the airport, it is a 1.4km walk from the Vancouver City Centre or Waterfront stops. Not a deal-breaker for us, but with heavy suitcases, strollers, or on a rainy day, it would not be so pleasant. A better choice would be a taxi directly from the airport ($36, vs $8 per person for the Skytrain).

Apparently the new manager for this property (as of Feb 2017) came from the St. Regis Tianjin. Hopefully he can address some of these issues...