FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Anybody used the Citi Prestige 4th night free hotel benefit? (Dec 2014 - Jul 22,2017)
Old Jun 28, 2017, 8:57 pm
linglingfool

Programs: AA PLT
Originally Posted by swag
I've always assumed that Citi is getting the travel agent booking commission on these stays - and that would cover a large part of their cost. (If they get 10% of 4 nights, that's 40% of the free night cost, at least after next month's changes). And if they're getting commission, the payment of that would be sufficient to verify that the stay occurred. So maybe that's what triggers the statement credit?

To verify the payment card, they could check with the hotel, but couldn't they also just check with Citi to see if the charge posted to the Prestige?

Verifying commission could easily be automated. Checking with the hotel likely can't; I suspect with the much quicker credits over recent months, there must be some additional automation compared to last year.

(FWIW, both my stays were domestic, one at a Marriott brand, one at an IHG).
I used to think this was the case, and I'm sure it is for some of their bookings, but I've stayed at plenty of non-commissionable properties where they've literally gone on the property's website and put in my details for me. Nowhere on the sites was there anywhere to put an IATA number. I have a feeling a lot of these wind up getting paid out of Citi's marketing budget.