FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Archived: The NEXUS Information Thread
View Single Post
Old Jun 28, 2017, 9:44 am
joet00

Programs: AC Aeroplan, Bonvoy, HHonors, National EC
Originally Posted by seawolf
NEXUS members no longer need to fill paper declaration form if using NEXUS kiosk.
We returned via YYZ in early May.

Unaware of these changes, we completed the E311 paper form while in-flight, declaring some wood and plant items.

Upon landing, we used the NEXUS kiosks, making the same wood/plant declarations on the screen.

At the first counter (where they want to see your NEXUS receipts) we were pulled aside presumably because of the "YES" declarations. We detailed our items and were sent on our way.

Leaving the baggage area, the CBSA officer at the exit told us that, as NEXUS members, we no longer needed to fill out the E311 (which matches what people are saying here on FT).

Here's the conundrum that I realized after we left the airport:

At the first counter, when we were pulled aside, the officer specifically asked for the E311. (We gave him the NEXUS receipts first, but he asked me to hand over the E311 which I held in my hand with our passports and NEXUS cards.)

If NEXUS members don't need to complete E311s, why would the officer ask for it?

I suppose it's possible the officer saw the completed card so he asked to see it?

Originally Posted by surreycrv
They generally tell you either approved or not, at the interview. The email is more a confirmation. What did they say to your wife? If she was approved sometimes it's a glitch, been posted a few times in this thread.
Turns out my wife had an additional previous name that they wanted to check:

At birth, my wife had Surname-1.

As a child, she took on Surname-2. Because all of her paperwork (including her birth certificate) was reissued under Surname-2, I (foolishly) did not include Surname-1 in on the NEXUS application.

This all came up during the interview, so they re-ran their checks on Surname-1.

3 days after her interview, the application reappeared in GOES and she received a new "Conditional Approval Notification" The GOES contact centre told her to ignore it (no further interview was required). True enough, she received the "Approval Notification" 2 days later.

Her card arrived 10 working days after the Approval Notification.

The nexus.gc.ca website shows 71 days as of May 31. Back after March 31, it showed 51 days.

Our experience:

Son #1
Mid-March: Mailed paper application
Late-March: Fee charged to his credit card.
June 23: Not having heard anything, called the Processing centre. Was told application was "just" approved. Given NEXUS number to create GOES account and book appointment.
As of today, we still haven't received the mailed Approval Notification.

Son #2
Early-March: Submitted application via GOES.
April 4: Conditional Approval
(About 23 days!!)

The Conditional Approval mentions:

You must bring the following original documents to the enrollment center:

This letter inviting you to an interview;
Boys are booked together in about 2 weeks. Son#1 hasn't received this letter. Since his was a paper application, it can't be printed from GOES.

Is this a deal-breaker?

Last edited by TWA884; Jun 28, 2017 at 11:27 am Reason: Merge consecutive posts by the same member; please use the multi-quote function