FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Qatar Airways - UAE, KSA, Bahrain and Egypt withdraw licenses and close airspace
Old Jun 27, 2017, 7:27 pm
nk15
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
Originally Posted by Grace B
I'm in a very similar situation with a paid QR business class ticket in September, CAI-DOH-BKK-DOH-CAI. I will also be in ATH prior to this and would need a positioning flight to CAI if flights were operating from there.

Again, I see no point in purchasing a positioning ticket at the moment. I am planning to ask QR to change my booking to commence/finish in BEY/AMM (on QR metal), and once this is done I plan to purchase a positioning ticket. Hopefully this can be done more than 3 days out (as I have with another QR Egypt ticket), but if not I'll just go for the best fare I can get (maybe an award using BA/QF/UA miles).

Really not much else that I can do, short of cancelling, which I don't intend to do.
If you are in ATH, you should also push to be rerouted ATH-DOH-BKK. Last minute paid tickets ATH-BEY/AMM/CAI/DOH might be quite expensive, even though July-Sept is off season for the Middle East.

However, another option I am thinking is calling to be rebooked say 5-7 days before flight time. I don't have a problem spending a few days in DOH. What are the chances that they would say that they cannot find any reroute availability CAI-DOH for a week? Although the other issue I have is that there are two of us in separate reservations, which seems like a tougher situation.