FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Where to buy luggage in Rome?
View Single Post
Old Jun 27, 2017, 5:43 pm
Perche

Programs: AA EXP >4 MM, Lifetime Plat
Red face

Originally Posted by PWMTrav
I was going to recommend eBags Exo spinners shipped to wherever you're staying, but shipping to Italy looks ridiculous. I bought these a few years ago with the intent of upgrading to a "name brand" if/once they fell apart. Turns out they're fantastic, and ~$170 for larger bags.

Going and seeing what Rinascente has is a good recommendation. You might find something you like by looking versus seeking out a specific brand's store.
I'm wondering how spinners work in Italy where there are many cobblestone streets. With two wheels you can just pull the bag along, regardless of the surface. I've seen people have real trouble with a four wheel, upright spinner in Rome.

My guess is you can tilt over a spinner and use it as if it's a two-wheeler. If it's one that doesn't tilt to allow it to be used as a two-wheeler, I think that could be a problem. Even then, spinners are great to wheel around the smooth floors of an airport, but they tend to have very small wheels that don't do very well on large cobblestones, where they get caught in the cracks. For luggage in Rome, be sure to take the size of the wheels into consideration if you are the type of person who walks.

I guess traveling with small children that's not a big problem because there won't be too much walking. When I get to Termini I always walk to where I'm staying, which is always in Monti or near the Pantheon. That walk would be impossible pushing an upright spinner.