FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - KA baggage allowance on UA ticket originating from USA
Old Jun 27, 2017, 1:43 pm
emcampbe
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Kacee
That is funny. I was once met at the gate at HKG by a UA agent following a late arrival which had caused a miss . . . agent said they would be storing my bags overnight for my (rescheduled) onward connection to BKK the next morning, and if I wanted them back it would take about 3 hours to retrieve them.
Misconnecting and them keeping the bags to check on a new connection is completely different then trying to check through on a scheduled long or overnight connection.

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Actually UA's stated policy is not to check thru if >13 hours or overnight (and was in 2015),

but that discussion is best continued in http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...solidated.html
This. UAs policy is not to check in on long connections. That the OP was able to check bags immediately at KA counter for connection doesn't change this - appears that KAs policy is different. If this was the other way around, UA would not have accepted the bag - beleive they won't accept it prior to 4 hours before flight time (I think there are exceptions, like using the counter at central HKG train station as opposed to airport).

As to KA using the UA policy for checked bags based on the TPAC portion, this is SOP and required. IATA MSC rules for itineraries from/to the US require the entire itinerary to get the bag allowance based on rules of the marketing carrier of the first flight but based on the itinerary destination. Therefore KA was correct to allow 2 bags at 50 lbs assuming this is what UA allows - note that elite waivers aren't considered, so OP almost certainly would have been charged overweight fee had they brought it to KA counter and they were 70lbs.