FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Machu Picchu Tour
View Single Post
Old Jun 26, 2017, 12:41 pm
Efrem
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by FrogProf
Ok. Thanks for clarifying OP.

I'll be at Machu Picchu on March 17. It will be my ninth visit. (I take two student groups there every year.) My brief thoughts are:

* Being on the earliest possible bus is great because the combination of mist and sunrise is spectacular.
* On the other hand, it is much less crowded in the afternoon.
* Both the Sun Gate and the Inca Bridge are absolutely worth the hike.
* A knowledgeable guide can make it a wonderful learning experience.
* Students can't afford the Sanctuary Lodge so I like to stay close to the train station and market.
* The best restaurant in AC is Indio Feliz. It's great!
Earliest possible bus has longest possible lines. Some members of my party walked up to the entrance when they saw how long the bus line was. They beat the bus they would have been on by at least half an hour. That may differ away from the solstice; I don't know.

Starting this weekend, tickets will specify am or pm. If you want both, you'll need two tickets (at twice the cost). Also, a guide will be required. Official ones are all pretty knowledgeable, though some are probably better than others as in any other profession.

The Sanctuary Lodge, even if you don't stay there, has rest rooms that are both clean and free!