FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Why I'm switching to IHG (after SPG dies)
Old Jun 26, 2017, 3:38 am
TravelinSperry

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by Land-of-Miles
IHG works well if you like staying a lot in cheap properties of dubious quality. Most of the brands are incomparable to Starwood or Marriott which are higher quality chains across the board.

The lack of structured loyalty programme with clear benefits (including defined upgrade path and club), make IHG stays way too random for me. Even as a long term RA I am finding IC's are losing their lustre exacerbated by recent scheme changes.

IHG is great if you like to stay at cheap often low quality properties in a lot of locations, don't have much expectations of status and are content to rapidly earn room redemptions for basic rooms but with tight reward inventory capacity control (there is no equivalent "no blackout" policy to SPG).

To my mind IHG Rewards is not a good substitute for a proper hotel loyalty programme like HHonors, SPG or Marriott Rewards. That and the relatively lowered property portfolio really means that IHG properties tend to be my third choice globally except if there is an IC available.
Agreed. I solely like Intercontinental and more recently Indigo. If/when they integrate Kimpton they may start building something there. So they remain a tertiary program for me, mainly garnering attention due to Intercontinental and Plat cc status (which really provides little except one free night & the 2pm checkout which I like).

Until I see benefit integration I see no point to switch primary chain. Starwood remains intact and I am using and loving all the benefits they provide and will continue to do so until the last day. I simply burn my SPG points quicker now so I am not caught with a bunch post integration and possible devaluation.

Originally Posted by craigthemif
I find it hard to imagine an SPG/Hyatt loyalist ever being happy with IHG as their new primary program. Presumably the love for SPG comes from elite status treatment, as it surely doesn't come from good redemption value at high-end properties.

IHG just simply doesn't do elite status well. Sure you get tons of points, which you can convert into free nights at increasingly outrageous rates (in points terms) and that's assuming that a popular property even releases more than the minimum # of rooms on points. No status benefits also means paying for breakfast, lounge, etc. or making alternative arrangements. Show up to an IC without Ambassador (or RA) and your room will be facing the rubbish bins or parking lot, no matter your IHG status...

It's like comparing apples and oranges. Stick with the combined SPG/Marriott until further notice. Most public comments from Marriott execs suggest that they are VERY AWARE of not wanting to annoy the expensively-acquired "rabid" SPG loyalists...
Well said and agreed.