FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Marriott Bonvoy hotels in London, UK
View Single Post
Old Jun 26, 2017, 12:09 am
DELee
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
jacobslide, as hockeyinsider says, forget about the Edition as no bennies other than free wifi.

Both the JW & PL are good choices. Since the JW is larger, odds of upgrades are better.

Cheers.
Backing up what SkiAdcock has noted, here's info that compares the three properties:

The London EDITION
Stats: 7 floors, 173 rooms (%Suites: 0%) | no CL | Category: Tier 4 | Built: 2013 | Last Remodel: 2013 (opened)

London Marriott Hotel Park Lane
Stats: 5 floors, 124 rooms, 28 suites (%Suites: 23%) | Concierge Lounge: yes | Category: 9 | Built: 1919 | Last Remodel: 2015

Grosvenor House, A JW Marriott Hotel
Stats: 8 floors, 420 rooms, 76 suites (%Suites: 18%) | Concierge Lounge: yes | Category: 9 | Built: 1929 | Last Remodel: 2008 (Wikipedia)
While the Park Lane has a larger percentage of suites, it is clear from the responses on this thread that the Grosvenor House, because of the sheer number of rooms and suites, is more likely to offer an upgrade, even on an award.

I'm working on my review of the Park Lane from my family's stay there in April and, even booking 3 (three) award rooms for 6 days each, no upgrades were offered. Now clearly the probability of even one upgrade was unfortunately also low because of the length of stay, but one upgrade out of the three would have been nice. So a shorter award stay at Grosvenor House may net you the upgrade you desire - without having to fork over any additional GBP.

Also, as a Tier 4 Ritz Carlton equivalent property. you'll need 60K points/night versus 45K points/night at either the Park Lane or the Grosvenor House.

David