FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Why I'm switching to IHG (after SPG dies)
Old Jun 25, 2017, 9:18 am
rbAA

Location: Bangkok, Thailand. No longer Palm Coast, FL though still exiled, again, from the Bay Area.
Programs: Only the good ones
Originally Posted by grandgourmand
Some Interesting perspectives here. More negative towards IHG than I expected and the positive ones are mostly lukewarm.

As with most things it depends on your specific situation (where you travel, how often, how you use your points, etc.).

IHG has been pretty good to me. Since it is my current secondary program maybe that will change when it becomes my primary.

Oh, in my list I forgot to mention the BOGO with Ambassador. I like things that pay for themselves.
Lukewarm because IHG has been known for IT problems (especially with their more complicated promos,) and some of the poorest CS around, especially compared to SPG and Hyatt. I like their reach and pricing, but it's hard to get excited about any chain in general. Best to find the properties you like (I prefer the Asian prop's especially the IC's,) in the areas you travel. I'm retired, so I'm paying 100% out-of-pocket, so I tend to be concerned more with cost, but value received is a very close second.

And, yes the BOGO's really only get you 25% to 33% off compared to the discounted rates, as the AMB weekend rates applicable are higher, usually. But even that is usually enough of a discount to make them worthwhile. Especially if you select the higher room categories.