FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Top Tips on Croatia
View Single Post
Old Jun 24, 2017, 12:12 pm
Adam1222

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by djjaguar64
Well where do they congregate?
Zagreb?

"They"? Its estimated that 2-4% of the population is primarily same-sex attracted. That would mean 840-1000 men and women, assume half each gender. They're then spread across the age population. As with towns of 40,000 in Canada, the U.S., France, Germany, etc., young gay people often move to larger cities. (Dubrovnik is the 13th largest city in Croatia; and .

Dubrovnik has no real industry other than tourism, so I wouldn't expect young gay people who grow up there to be compelled to stay (or young straight people, for that matter). As I noted, Dubrovnik doesn't have a lot of nightlife - gay or straight -- and most of it is tourist-driven, filled with Ryanair.

In Split, as per my earliest post, there are several gay-friendly bars and gay beaches where LGBT people "congregate." Both Split and Zagreb have a Pride festival annually, which makes sense so they are the two largest cities in the country. Osijek does too (the 4th largest city). Rovinj is considered the gay tourist destination of Croatia, and its close to Rijeka, the 3rd largest city, which has some gay life.

This is just a weird chain. There's no reason to assume anything nefarious or even unusual in towns of 40000 that don't have gay bars, especially towns that are almost exclusively tourist-driven. There are no gay bars in Santorini, either.